Title: RWC Project Coordinator
Job ID: 29829
Practice Area – Job Family: Crisis Prevention and Recovery
Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA): 28/04/2020
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Education & Work Experience: G-Bachelor's Level Degree – 7 year(s) experience, I-Master's Level Degree – 5 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration: 6 months
BIH citizens only.
Exact Entry on Duty is subject to measures imposed in response to COVID19 situation
Under the direct supervision of the Regional War Crimes (RWC) Chief Technical Advisor (RWC CTA) and in close collaboration with the UNDP BiH Justice and Security Sector Leader, the RWC Project Coordinator will support the implementation of the UNDP Istanbul Regional Hub (IRH) “Regional War Crimes” Project (RWC Project), funded by the United Kingdom (UK).
The RWC Project Coordinator will provide technical advice and coordinate the implementation of the different project activities to ensure coherence with the project framework. The RWC Project Coordinator will contribute to the efficient monitoring of the use of funds and the procurement of services and goods executed by UNDP. S/he will coordinate the Project activities on a day-to-day basis on behalf of UNDP and in close consultations and under the guidance and direct supervision of RWC CTA, ensure that the project produces the required outputs. S/he will be responsible for day-to-day support to project management and will ensure the implementation of all planned activities to the required corporate and donor agreement standards within the work plan timeline and budget.
The RWC Project aims to strengthen the rule of law in order to effectively fight impunity for war crimes through supporting regional cooperation for war crimes processing. The project builds on the Platform for Regional Cooperation on processing war crimes and the search for missing persons, established among the State Prosecutors (POs) and the institutions for the search of missing persons of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro and Serbia, which has been facilitated by UNDP since 2015 under the initiation phase of the project. The platform has supported trust-building among the key actors, re-activation of cross-border communication, exchange of information and evidence, and commitment to joint investigations.
The overall aim of RWC Project will be realized through the achievement of the following project outputs:
- Strengthened regional cooperation among prosecution services through improvement of the legal framework for cross-border cooperation aimed at increased efficiency of the war crimes processing in BiH, Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia;
- The establishment of cross-border victim and witness support system and framework of regional consultations between the victims’ associations and Prosecutors Offices (POs), including enhanced communication with victims and the public.
Overall, the project will contribute to maximizing societal impact of criminal proceedings and other transitional justice processes contributing to a conducive environment for reconciliation and sustaining peace in the region. It will do so through, enhancing cross-border support to PO’s, victims and witnesses, facilitating regional dialogue among POs and between them and other relevant institutions including victims’ associations, as well as promoting transparent and data-based communication and public outreach on processing of war crimes cases.
The RWC Project Coordinator will be expected to closely coordinate his/her activities with the UNDP BiH Justice and Security Sector Leader and be responsible for daily supervision of the project officer and project associate based in UNDP BiH Country Office in Sarajevo.
The incumbent will be based in UNDP BiH office in Sarajevo.
Duties and Responsibilities
Coordinate the overall implementation of the RWC Project activities
- Organize and coordinate project activities such as workshops, studies and publications, subcontracts, equipment and administrative support;
- Promote overall integration of the project into the regional and existing planned activities, as well as regional and national policies and plans relevant to regional war crimes;
- Support cooperation and collaboration with national partners;
- Coordinate personnel and subcontractors engaged in delivering aspects of the project’s work plans;
- Preparation of annual work plans with indicative scheduling of identified main outputs and activities as guidance documents for the formulation and review of annual work plans;
- Maintain close coordination with other relevant projects and programmes, both in-country and regional that are led by the project partners, UNDP IRH, and other organizations active in the field of war crimes processing;
- Facilitate coordination and other support for consultants hired for the Project, and for any relevant missions directly related to the Project;
- Contribute to the achievement of RWC Project’ output and results at the required quality standards and within the specified cost and time limits.
Providing technical advice and support to the implementation of the Project activities
- Prepare, in consultations with other RWC Project Team members, TORs for consultants and provide feedback on their deliverables such as reports, documents etc.;
- Facilitate the building of capacity and awareness of key stakeholders regarding war crimes processing and relevant regional cooperation, including among others the civil society and NGO community;
- Co-develop relevant policy briefs, lessons learned documents, communication materials, website updates, and other relevant publications;
- Ensure all UNDP operational processes in regards to the RWC project are followed.
Monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the overall Project deliverables
- Carry out regular follow-up and monitoring of implementation activities;
- Carry out regular monitoring and reporting on risks and mitigation measures;
- Develop the substantial programmatic input required for the RWC Project reports, including narrative and financial reports to relevant parties as well as annual progress and expenditure reports, as per donor requirements;
- Provide regular updates on the Project’s progress to RWC CTA and UNDP IRH Human Rights, Rule of Law, Justice and Security Programme Specialist as well as key project stakeholders.
Knowledge management and gender equality
- Coordinate wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements;
- Coordinate dissemination of information and knowledge management within the team for effective project implementation;
- Ensure that key project results, knowledge tools and other developed products have been mainstreamed within the project field work, as well as within other relevant UNDP interventions and support dissemination and application beyond UNDP scope of work;
- Be responsible for the transfer of projects deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials to national beneficiaries;
- Contribute to gender mainstreaming throughout the project activities, work plans, budgets, reports, researches, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail;
- Contribute to incorporation of knowledge on gender equality in Project knowledge management activities and products.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda/Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management/Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships/Maintaining a network of contacts
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders across a wide range of disciplines;
- Ability to work with diverse partners and ensure coherence in activities;
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches/Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Resource Mobilization/Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing/Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise/ Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Client Orientation/Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment;
- Demonstrated excellence in clear, concise and convincing writing and communication skills;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Highly organized with strong analytical and research skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a collaborative team and facilitating teamwork;
- Promotes sharing of knowledge and experience, and actively works towards continued personal learning and development.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Law, Social Sciences, International Relations, Governance, Human Rights, Development, Economics or any other related field.
- B.A degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience is accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of experience of implementing and coordinating development projects in the countries of former Yugoslavia in the field of rule of law, justice or security;
- In-depth knowledge of transitional justice processes in the countries of the former Yugoslavia, in particular of war crimes processing and search for missing persons and experience in coordination and policy advice on processing war crimes and search for missing persons is an asset;
- UN experience and experience in United Nations inter-agency work is an asset;
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills in English and Bosnian-Croatian-Montenegrin-Serbian (BCMS) is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
More information and application: https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=29829&hrs_jo_pst_seq=1&hrs_site_id=2